There are a ton of amazing tools available for new businesses today. But if you’re not careful, you can waste thousands of dollars buying everything with a promise. I know this first hand as I’ve done this for years. I’ve wasted months and a small fortune on tools that weren’t right for my businesses. I’ve learned which tools work, which don’t, and which don’t right now but will later.
I don’t want you to waste time and money if you don’t have to, so I’ve put together a list of the top tools I’ve found to be the most effective for building a business.
*I am an affiliate for the following companies. They’ve each been chosen because I personally use them and feel they are the best available as of this writing. If you choose to purchase any of these through the links below, I would receive a commission at no extra cost to you. This is how I can continue to provide free content on Taykoff.com – thank you for your help.
- They are extremely affordable (as of this writing they offer $3.95/mo but I’ve seen as low as $1.99/mo)
- They include a free domain name
- They have a one-click WordPress install (the software used to actually build your website)
- If you choose the Plus or Prime plans, you can build unlimited websites (you just have to purchase the additional domain names, but this can easily be done through Bluehost)
- They are easy to get started (see my video that walks you through the process)
If you have chosen to go the Self-Hosted route with your website, I highly recommend going with Bluehost to start.
**UPDATE** StudioPress now offers hosting with access to over 20 of their designs. If you are looking for a one-stop-shop for your website, this is a great way to go. Prices range from $24-$37/month (paid quarterly or yearly).
StudioPress – When you download the WordPress software, you have thousands of free and paid themes (website styles) to choose from. StudioPress develops paid Themes for WordPress (the software used to build your website). The reasons I chose a paid StuidoPress theme vs. any others are:
- StudioPress themes are well built and rock-solid coding (to ensure a smooth user experience and quality ranking)
- They are already optimized for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and are recommended by WordPress’ top SEO experts, Yoast.
- They are already optimized for mobile devices.
- They have excellent customer service and are incredibly reliable.
- They are always updated to work with all new editions of WordPress (WordPress updates their software regularly).
- They have excellent documentation (the step-by-step instructions for setting up your new theme)
- They are built on the Genesis framework which is the #1 choice of website professionals.
StudioPress has several themes to choose from and range in price from around $99-$150 for your first theme, then only $34-$75 or so for any additional themes. To learn more about choosing StudioPress and installing one of their themes, check out this video.
ConvertKit – ConvertKit is an email list building tool. They collect and build your email list, which is the lifeblood of your business. Without a way to capture audience information, you will have no way of reaching out to them when you have something to say (or sell). In fact, the #1 regret of successful entrepreneurs is not building their email list sooner. So it is recommended you start from day one. I chose ConvertKit for this because:
- They offer easy to build forms and landing pages for my website (various options to collect visitor emails)
- They have a great autoresponder program that is super easy to use (this allows me to send a series of emails automatically once someone adds their email)
- They allow you to segment or tag your list so you can track who came from where (if they were from a certain webpage or promotion).
- They have flexible costs, so you are not paying full price while your list is small.
As of this writing, the basic package is $30/mo for up to 1000 emails.
These three are the main tools I’ve used to build my businesses. As I discover and test more great tools, I will add them here.
Please be sure to also check out my Pinterest Page for other great recommendations including books and webinars that have had a big impact on my life.